If you are creating a website or are considering it, one of the most important things you need to do for you site is search engine optimization. This is something that uses important keywords and keyword phrases that will help the different search engines out there find you site and rank it. If you think this is something that is difficult to understand, you would be wrong. However, it is very time consuming which means that you need to have patience when it comes to SEO. Those who do work as SEO consultants will offer a variety of different kinds of services but when it all comes down to it in the end, it is the website owners who is going to appreciate the optimization services that they get when they educate themselves on the fundamentals of SEO.
When it comes to the nature of website marketing, this is something that continues to evolve from optimizing the text to include a variety of different digital asset optimization like audio, video, images and different kinds of content delivery things like RSS and mobile. No matter how it has evolved, there is always going to be value in basic SEO for any website and any topic.
In a lot of different cases, especially when it comes to small websites or small businesses, there is a lot the owner or the webmasters or developer can do in order to try improve the search engine optimization friendliness of their site, like knowing the fundamental content optimization, before they even consider going out and getting any kind of outside help to get the job done. But those that don’t end up outsourcing on page optimization as well as link building will often do so because they seem to have a lack of resources or maybe the lack of desire to do it on their own and they want to try to avoid any huge mistakes that they might end up making which could end up costing them a lot more in the end.
If you are considering doing your own basic SEO here are a few things you need to be aware of:
- Make sure to clearly define and measure your goals of your site and make sure to take some benchmark measurements.
- Do good keyword research and generate a personal glossary of the different keyword phrases that addresses you needs and your content for publishing.
- Make a content creation plan. This could be an editorial calendar for your website. You must be able to plan on creating some good keyword sensitive content for you website that is on an ongoing basis.
- Use a spreadsheet and do some keyword mapping. You will need to map your keywords to a page or some sort of category. The focus should be one to two phrases per page.
- Be aware of your keyword phrase order.
- Be aware of keyword prominence on the Internet so that you don’t use to may overused keywords.
- Make sure that all images have alternate text that are keywords.
- Make sure to always use hyphens in all file names and never use underscores.
- Make sure to implement and review the different web stats for trends, behavior of visitors, how well the content is performing, referring traffic. Use things like Google Analytics, WebTrends, ClickTracks, Index Tools and HitsLink Enterprise.